Virgin Money London Marathon runs through the Royal Borough on Sunday 22 April.
Some roads will be closed in Royal Greenwich along the marathon route during the morning of Sunday 22 April, with all roads expected to re-open by 2pm.
The race begins at 8.55am with the first runners setting off from three points on Blackheath. The route heads east through Charlton, before turning west at Woolwich and heading through Greenwich, past Cutty Sark and on to Deptford and central London.
The race route will be closed to vehicles until the times shown below:
|Mile||Main road on route||Anticipated closure time||Anticipated opening time|
|Red Start||Charlton Way||6am||12pm|
|Blue Start||Shooters Hill Road||6am||12pm|
|1||Red Route: Charlton Road
Blue Route: Shooters Hill Road
|2||Red Route: Little Heath
Blue Route: Charlton Park Lane
|3||Red Route: Artillery Place
Blue Route: John Wilson Street
|4||Woolwich Church Street||7am||2pm|
A road closure leaflet has been distributed to all residents and businesses along the marathon route. This leaflet details all the road closure and reopening times and can also be found online.
Local Resident Parking
Royal Borough residents who live on a road used by the event are being asked to help the organisation of the marathon by parking vehicles off the route either on the evening of Saturday 21 April or before 7am on Sunday 22 April.
Vehicle removals across the whole route will start from 7am on Sunday 22 April.
Crossing points and times
Residents can cross the route at the junctions and times below.
Until around 8.45am
- Charlton Road / Victoria Way / Marlborough Lane, crossing over Charlton Road (north and south)
- Shooters Hill Road / Kenya Road / Weyman Road, crossing over Shooters Hill Road (north and south)
- Ha-Ha Road / Stadium Road / Repository Road, crossing over Ha-Ha Road (north and south)
- Artillery Place / Repository Road / Frances Street, crossing over Artillery Place (north and south)
- Woolwich Road / Frances Street / Leda Road, crossing over Woolwich Road (north and south)
Until around 9am
- Woolwich Road / Anchor and Hope Lane / Charlton Church Lane, crossing over Woolwich Road (north and south)
Until around 9.05am
- Trafalgar Road / Blackwall Lane / Vanbrugh Hill, crossing over Trafalgar Road (north and south)
Until around 9.15am
- Creek Road / Norman Road / Norway Street, crossing over Creek Road (north and south)
- Creek Road / Glaisher Street / Gonson Street, crossing over Creek Road (north and south).
From 8am, the remainder of the road closures will be implemented through Deptford, Rotherhithe, Tower Hamlets, Docklands and the City.
Residents will be guided across the route at the crossing points.
Greenwich Foot Tunnel
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel will be closed to people wanting to go north to south from 10.30am to 12.30pm. People can only enter at Cutty Sark and head north over the river. Outside of these times the foot tunnel will be open, but it will be busy crossing from the south to the north and queues are expected.
Southeastern trains will be running additional trains to Blackheath and Greenwich early in the morning to help runners reach the start. There will also be extra trains all throughout the day on the Dartford to Charing Cross via Bexleyheath line.
A four-day strike by workers on Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is scheduled to start Friday 20 April. Check the Transport for London (TfL) website for updates.
TfL also provides information about road closures and how they will affect motorists and people using public transport.