As a member you're well connected. Access our range of benefits and services, including our directory of local member businesses.
You are here
Klinger application for new commercial units approved
An application to restore and enhance the Grade II listed Klinger building and provide new commercial units was approved at Development Control Committee on Tuesday night.
The application submitted by Chancerygate (Erdington) Ltd includes partial demolition and redevelopment of the Klinger factory and associated buildings to provide 15 units to be used for B1(c), B2, B8 uses together with associated access and parking.
Councillor Peter Dean, Chairman of Development Control Committee said, “This was a welcome application, with the proposal sympathetically dealing with what remains a listed building because of the architectural features. Sadly, the frontage building was placed upon Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register but we are optimistic that this planning approval will lead to the building being removed from the register.”
Councillor Peter Morgan, Executive Councillor for Renewal and Recreation said, “This will provide employment opportunities and is very positive news and further evidence of what we have said previously, that there is strong demand for commercial units within our borough, where business is prospering. This is part of the reason that we say that Bromley is a place to locate your business and for investment.”
The proposal consists of the demolition the majority of the existing buildings and associated structures on site except for the front elevation and side returns of the listed building which was originally built in 1937 to the designs of the architectural practice Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. The proposal for the redevelopment of the site for purpose built B1/B2/B8 industrial units includes:
- Erection of 13 purpose built industrial units in 3 rows
- Small mezzanine to each area
- Extension to the Klinger building to provide a self-storage unit
- Detached two storey commercial unit adjacent to the original Klinger building
- Amendments to existing vehicular access points and provision of in/out access
- Provision of access roads and car parking
- Provision of landscaping
- Retention of the tower and reinstatement of all exterior details and
- Retention and re-use of the original piers and railings